What to Pack for a South African Safari
We’ve put together a general guide of what to pack for your African Safari. Weather patterns are becoming increasingly unpredictable and change frequently, so we can often experience many different seasons in a short space of time. Temperatures can range from summer highs of around 95°F (35°C) to cold winters of close to 32°F (0°C), and can either be very dry or extremely wet or humid. This list ensures that you’re prepared for all eventualities, regardless of which way the weather decides to turn during your Safari trip.
The first thing to consider is your 30kg baggage allowance. We strongly advise against buying a whole safari themed wardrobe full of new clothes. Typical safari gear can be heavy and also unnecessary, so opt for lightweight clothing wherever possible. Another important thing to note is that the domestic flight baggage allowance is only 23kg, so if you’re flying between cities in South Africa pack to those limitations to avoid additional fees. Don’t forget to leave a little space for extra souvenirs you may collect along the way.
Opt for neutral colours, especially olive and dark greens, avoiding white as much as possible. White increases your visibility to the animals and can get dirty very quickly. There is a daily laundry service, so you only really need to pack 3 - 4 days worth of clothing.
In terms of medication, we do have a fully stocked First Aid kit at the lodge, and South Africa does have good medical facilities and pharmacies, but it’s always a good idea to be prepared. So think about bringing painkillers, plasters, anti-allergy tablets, diarrhoea medication, cough medicine, and especially any chronic medication you may need.
Lastly, a hunting licence and rifle permit for your first rifle is included, however, if you wish to bring along more rifles additional permits are required. If you choose to bring your own, we recommend; 270, 30-06, 7 mm, 300 Win Mag, 300 Weatherby and 338, for larger plains game species or; 222, 223 and 243 for smaller plains game species. For international travel, we advise a strong protective case with a good lock and an extra soft case for the actual safari. By law, most Southern African countries require a minimum of 375 for all dangerous game, and we recommend at least a 375 or larger on Buffalo or Lion, Rhino, Hippo, and Elephant. For ammunition, pack a good multi-purpose expanding bullet, like Barnes X, Trophy Bonded or Hornedy. We recommend soft nose tough expanding bullets for large plains game species and solids for smaller plains game species. For all dangerous game calibers we recommend a 50/50 split in soft noses and solids.
Below is a check-list of our ideal packing list for a South African Safari:
- 3 - 4 hunting shirts
- 3 Pairs of long hunting pants
- 1 Pair of short hunting pants
- 2 Long sleeve shirts or vests
- 1 Sweater/ Jumper
- 1 Pair of hiking/outdoor boots
- 1 Warm Hunting Jacket, preferably waterproof
- 1 Pair of comfortable shoes for the lodge, like trainers or flip-flops
- 4 Pairs of socks
- 4 Sets of underwear
- 1 Set of pyjamas
- Clothing for the evenings, nothing fancy
- 1 Pair of gloves
- Hat with brim or a cap
- SPF 30 Chap stick or lip balm
- Sun block SPF 30
- International plug set - conversion to South Africa 220 V
- Mosquito and Tick repellant
- Passport with VISA from your own country and countries in transit
- Air tickets
- Travel Insurance
- Appropriate currency/credit card
- Digital copies of all important documents
- A good book
- Power bank
- Shooting sticks
- USB flash drive or SD card for additional storage
- Rifle with ammunition, or hire one of ours for $50/day per rifle and ammunition at cost
- Hard cover rifle case with lock
- Soft cover rifle case
- Rifle and cleaning equipment
- First aid items and prescription drugs
- Second rifle permit $350
- CITES permits $330
- Rifle Import Permit Application and relevant documentation, if required
If you require any further information or have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to us. We are more than happy to provide a more personalised packaging list based on your needs.